Instructor, Proctor, and Evaluator Requirements
Instructors must have successfully completed:
- the training level they will be teaching and
- NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor Level 1.
EXCEPTION: Only a lead instructor who has successfully completed 1041 Fire Service Instructor Level 2 can teach 1041 Fire Service Instructor Level 1.
The instruction team may consist of a lead instructor and one or more assistant instructor who has passed the training.
The instructor (lead and assistants) cannot act as a proctor or evaluator for the training they have taught.
Proctors administering a written examination must:
- be a member in good standing of the community (e.g., a minister, teacher, professor, commissioner for oaths, business owner, Elder, fire chief)
- NOT have been involved in the delivery of the training
- NOT have a personal relationship with the training instructor or any of the candidates writing the examination.
All proctors must read and follow the Proctor Agreement and Exam Rules and sign and submit it with the completed exam package.
Exam Feedback forms are to be provided to all candidates who wish to provide feedback after they have written an exam. These forms are collected by the proctor and submitted with the completed exam package.
If a candidate is caught cheating during an exam, the proctor must follow the Exam Rules and complete and submit an Exam/Evaluation Irregularity form.
Evaluators testing the skills of the candidates must:
- be NFPA certified in the training level they will be evaluating
- be certified in NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor Level II
- NOT have been involved in the delivery of the training they are evaluating
- NOT have a personal relationship the candidates being evaluated.
All evaluators must read and follow the Evaluator Agreement and Evaluation Rules and sign and submit it with the completed evaluation package.
If a candidate is caught cheating during an evaluation, the evaluator must follow the Evaluation Rules and complete and submit an Exam/Evaluation Irregularity form.